Our observations in the South Gobi tell us that:
- a large majority of herder families need better cash flow;
- herders need winter animal fodder at reasonable prices;
- herders will benefit from assistance with the construction of winter shelters for livestock;
- the whole area needs veterinary support, guidance and training in animal husbandry, animal nutrition and disease management;
- the land will improve with pasture management plans;
- there are no formal livestock markets and limited access to mechanized livestock transport which limits herder’s ability to get livestock to abattoirs in good condition; and
- herders could benefit from professional assistance in the marketing of their livestock and products as well as the management of their assets.